Your vision for mental health recovery in Scotland
27th January 2021
Scottish Recovery Network has published the findings from our national engagement. The programme gathered your views on a vision and strategy for mental health recovery in Scotland.
There has been much progress made in changing attitudes to mental health and recovery. There are many examples of good recovery-focused approaches to support. However, recovery is not universal or embedded in our mental health services and recovery-focused approaches are patchy. There is still much to do if recovery is to become a day-to-day part of our mental health system.
Vision for mental health recovery in Scotland
The national engagement has resulted in a strong and compelling vision for a Scotland that supports mental health recovery. Our mental health system and services will:
- Take a whole person approach
- Genuinely value lived experience by integrating it into all parts of the system
- Embed peer support approaches and roles in mental health support
- Be easy to access and navigate
- Offer more community-based supports and choices
- Be designed and delivered in a way that tackles inequalities and contributes to a fair society
What needs to happen?
Working towards this vision will require us to focus on the following actions:
- Champion the value of lived experience and peer support in all parts of the mental health system
- Joining up the different parts of the mental health system
- Learning from good practice in Scotland and further afield
- Influence decision-makers and ensure visible support for recovery
Scottish Recovery Network will share these findings with the Scottish Government, all those who participated in the engagement, and through our networks. We will work with the government and others to agree on a refreshed vision and strategy for recovery in Scotland. We will also develop our own organisation Strategic Plan setting out what we will do to support work towards this vision over the next three years.
BSL version of the report
Build Back Better
What does a recovery mindset have to offer as we navigate Covid-19 and plan for a better future for Scotland’s mental health and wellbeing? Developed from conversations at our online cafes the Build back better report and animation echo many of the key themes from our national What’s next for recovery? engagement. BSL versions of the report and animation are available on our YouTube channel